Amped Wireless REC10 600mW Compact Wi-Fi Range Extender
The REC10 plugs right into a wall socket and takes up very little space. It’s about 4 x 2.5 x 1.25 inches is size, and weighs just 3.7 ounces.
The way the REC10 works is to expand the range of your 802.11 b/g/n network by repeating the signal from your primary router. The device has two 600 mW amplifiers inside connected to a high gain 2 dBi antenna to extend your Wi-Fi signal up to 6,500 square feet.
Setup of the REC10 is incredibly easy; it’s just plugged into a wall socket and accessed on its own initial “AmpedREC10” Wi-Fi network. Switch your iOS device or Mac to that network and then point a browser to a special setup page address, and you’re led through the process of renaming the network and adding a security key. What’s nice is that the setup clones your existing SSID and security key if you wish, making setup even faster. The new SSID is given an “RE” suffix to contrast it from your primary network.
f you’re looking for a range extender that is relatively expensive, easy to set up, and that works with just about any existing Wi-Fi network, then the Amped Wireless REC10 is probably for you as long as you’re aware that it’s not going to perform miracles.
- Small profile allows installation just about anywhere
- Easy and fast setup
- Provides coverage for areas that may have weak or nonexistent Wi-Fi coverage with a single primary Wi-Fi router
- Web-based setup and configuration tool is fast and well-designed
- Amped Wireless provides a 30 day return policy
- No Mac OS X or iOS Wi-Fi analytics tool
- Although signal strength is increased in formerly weak signal areas, you may not see full speed in those areas
- Depending on placement of the REC10 and the design and construction of your home, you may not see a markedly large increase in the Wi-Fi coverage footprint
- No way to turn off glowing white status light
Who is it for?
- Any person with reasonable expectations who just needs better coverage in his or her home or office